Wednesday 22 August 2007

Stand Up For Your Writes!

Everybody,

I’ve been away for awhile – still having some challenges with my ADSL link…but anyhew…

I don’t know about you, but I’ve had it with writers being at the bottom of the pile. I’ve coined it as the “Cinderella of the Arts”. It feels like NO END to the disrespect and disregard we receive.

Have you noticed how it is the norm for people generally to expect you to perform, judge or perhaps write something for free or very little? (In one case some writers PAID to attend an event and were dragged up from the audience to judge and not even offered reimbursement.)

Have you noticed how we are expected to be grateful for the few crumbs we are offered from the great cultural table?

Have you noticed with all this “talk” of the importance of literacy, that writers do not seem to be factored in at all?

Have you noticed how generally book stores treat “local” authors abominably? Note how their books are placed compared to the ones “from ovah and away”. Some refuse to carry them at all.

Now before I go on in my rant, I want to make two (make that three) things clear:
1) NO AGENCY or ORGANIZATION is responsible for us. WE are responsible for ourselves and our welfare and that of our families. We are responsible for how our work is marketed and making appropriate choices of opportunities.
2) If we are unhappy and don’t put our grievances in writing, then we deserve what we receive. I’ve said it before, there’s no point grumbling amongst ourselves and nothing is done.
3) We can often be our worse enemy by not taking what we do and how we do it seriously. (Present company included!)

I shall do more of what I should be doing – writing rather than talking. So having said that, I’m prepared to, as we say in Barbados, “tek a few licks”…because I’m tired and I’ve had it.

I pride myself on trying to be fair when I am responding, especially if in writing.

But know this…

I shall exercise my right/write to say so, no matter who “vex or please”.

Blessings,
Seawoman

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Seawoman,
I agree whole heartedly with your thoughts. We as writers need to stand up for ourselves in order to evoke change. Especially here in Barbados where we are more of a stepchild to the culural arts, we have to say NO MORE! to the constant abandonment.
We must rise up and be counted in our efforts for Literary Revolution. There were the Haitian Revolution of 1828, Barbadian Riots of 1937. Let us spark the 2007 Literary Revolt! Let's stand up for our writes!!!

Sandra Sealy said...

HEAR HEAR and Thank you Arsenic!

Spread the Word and please invite others to comment.

Blessings and power from the pen,
Seawoman

Anonymous said...

Sandra, first the bookstore comment. Talking for the Book Place, we take them even when we feel that 'well, ok...'. But you can't leave them out on display forever, at some stage you have to file them on the shelf. When you do that, if the book don't got a spine then it is just something on the shelf and nobody knows what. So, if you publish, especially self-publish, make sure your book got the name on the spine.

As for the next part about not wanting to pay writers, some writers feel that they get exposure and it's like paying for advertisement. That can be a valid argument. But a lot also feel that they can't get away with it and therefore they agree to write for free. That means though that the rest of us who ask for the cold hard then look mercenary and people want to know who we think we are. We are in fact like carpenters, plumbers and the people who cut the grass around our houses - working people who need to be paid.

I always ask up front for money. When my sister wanted her thesis edited I asked for money. She laughed at me, mind you, but I retained my professional pride.

Sandra Sealy said...

Dear 'Anonymous':

Thank you for your valued feedback.

BOOKSTORES: Yes, I was generalizing about our treatment BUT I also pointed out that we writers too must take ourselves seriously. Part and parcel of that is THE PRESENTATION OF YOUR PRODUCT I.E. BOOK. If you are in a hurry to PRINT (not even publish) something not edited, unattractive and not of a high standard, you will not project a good impression. So I am in agreement with you.

BTW, I will be doing a SEAWOMAN REVIEW OF BOOKSTORES and will take notes to be posted on this blog.

However, in my travels so far I have noted that the second hand books stores in Barbados like THE BOOK PLACE, THE BOOK DEN, HASANI & JOHN HOWELL'S SHOP (that's not the name but only BAOBAB is sticking in my frazzled memory) are ALWAYS quite supportive of local writers. I've also noted so far the excellent display of local books at Pages' in Sunset Crest.

GETTING PAID? - Good for you! I think alot of us are afraid and don't understand what we are worth. You're right. Asking for cash is a judgement call but that's what SHARING the information is all about-empowerment. When you are plugged in to the community AND you do your research, you'll find you are more prepared. ASK QUESTIONS!

In some cases, and you judge it to be a good cause, go ahead and do it GRATIS.

Otherwise, the way I might approach it is: "What is in your organization's budget for this service?" They generally will view what you do in a different light or start backpedalling.

As for being viewed as 'mercenary', it's a necessary evil. Fortunately, by now, I'm inured and don't give a damn what kind of names they call me! :-)

Unknown said...

Sandra,
Your are correct on several counts.Fact is that "culture" in Bim has been largely a hobby, probably because prior to independence they told us we had none! And even groups and individuals making money from the cultural services expect to enjoy our efforts gratis.Musicians are now breaking out of the rut but they had to fight a ding-dong battle and the tourism industry was a major catalyst in that breakout. But the reality is that if we hold out for a fair deal some other sister or brother will oblige and snap up the crumbs!Keep on talking, we may get a bright idea yet!
Lionel.

Sandra Sealy said...

Dear Lionel,

Thanks so much for your valued contribution to this electronic discussion and your continued support.

You are absolutely right. While a few of us will hold out in the interest of US ALL (ironically enough) being treated fairly, there are a few that will still accept the crumbs.

That's fine because it's all about personal choice - whether motivated by fear, desperation, ignorance or indifference.

Hopefully, the few of us agitating will encourage at least ONE person to think or to draw on the encouragement and wealth of information gleaned from those of us who have travelled down the road already.

I view this as part of my responsibility. So, in my small way I will do what I can to elucidate 'our writes'.

Power to you from the pen,
Seawoman